Posted By Neil Flanagan ~ 29th September 2016
No one can tell another what counts as fun: what’s fun for one person might be a turn-off for another. We do know, however, that a bit of fun is good for us – it makes us feel good and its memory lives on.
There are a few things about fun that we agree on.
1. It’s usually a diversion from everyday life.
2. It’s usually associated with playfulness.
3. It’s usually not serious.
It would seem that anything connecting us with our childlike energy and joy counts as fun.
Whatever the reason, most oldies seem to become disconnected from the concept of fun: fun seems to die as we age. But this need not be the case.
When is the last time you had fun, let yourself go and had a good time, forgot about all your daily responsibilities, and lived in the moment?
Maybe you held back because you were concerned what other people would think, forgetting Dr Seuss’s words of wisdom, that ‘those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind’. Or perhaps you thought you couldn’t afford to engage in fun activities forgetting that some of the best things in life are free. Perhaps you thought that you didn’t have the time, or you needed a plan, or you forgot that life’s too short to be serious, or considered that conditions have to be perfect to have fun, or that you can have fun only when something is big and spectacular. Or, assuming you don’t have depression, ADHD, or some other ailment, you forgot that breaking boredom is a choice.
Here are some options worthy of your consideration that can be done alone or with others.
1. Find a hobby or something you’re passionate about. A new hobby is a great way to spice up your routine, pick up a new skill, and provide something to look forward to on a daily basis.
2. Listen to music. Make music a part of your life, a healthy habit.
3. Think and act positively. Brighten up your life and live longer by embracing the best in every situation.
4. Get out of your comfort zone. Instead of doing the same old thing day after day, do something completely unexpected that you never thought you would do, no matter how silly or out-of-character.
Age has zit to do with it. You make the changes and opportunities in your life, so get out there and have fun. You could be depriving yourself of some good times.